Camping De Sarsan
Lourdes, mythical city and world-famous sanctuary
Lourdes is timelessly beautiful. Each year, nearly 6 million visitors from more than 140 countries come to share stories and hopes, in this small mountain town where, in 1858, a young girl named Bernadette saw the Virgin appear eighteen times, in a cave near from the river. It is the most visited city in France after Paris.
In 1858, the Virgin Mary appeared 18 times to Bernadette Soubirous, at the Grotte Massabielle. Since the sanctuaries receive millions of visitors of all nationalities and faiths. This "Universal" site, accessible 24 hours a day, welcomes the "whole world" throughout the year. To see in the sanctuaries: the Massabielle Grotto, the basilicas (Immaculate Conception, the underground basilica of Saint Pius X, Our Lady of the Rosary in the shape of a Greek cross), the crypt, the Church of Saint Bernadette, the tent of adoration, the chapel of reconciliation and the exterior Stations of the Cross. If possible do not miss the Torchlight procession every evening at 24 p.m. from April to October.
The visit of Chateau fort is also a MUST. Classified as a historical monument, it is a major witness to the history of Lourdes from the 1921th to the XNUMXth century. Since XNUMX, it has housed the Pyrenean museum, labeled Musée de France, which presents the largest collection on the history of the French and Spanish Pyrenees (costumes, furniture, rites, agricultural, pastoral and artisanal practices, etc.). The botanical garden on the castle terraces is absolutely superb.
The climb to the Pic du Jer in funicular is essential to easily reach the summit at an altitude of 1000 meters. Easily recognizable with its cross at the top, the Pic du Jer overlooks the city of Lourdes and offers an exceptional panorama of the Pyrenees. At the top, a walking path will lead you to the observatory where you will discover a unique belvedere offering a 360 ° view of Lourdes and the Pyrenean peaks.
Lake Lourdes, a real holiday base camp
3 km from the city center in the direction of Pau, the glacial lake of Lourdes is a great place of relaxation and various and varied activities. The tour of Lake Lourdes is a route known to local hikers, joggers and mountain bikers. Over a distance of around 6 km, you can discover the lake from different angles, enjoy the view of the Pyrenees or even admire the splendid golf course of Lourdes. Do you want to explore more of the surroundings? Then borrow the Henri IV road and gain height by heading towards the wood of Mourle. For a break at the Croix du Cerf, you will be able to contemplate the magnificent panorama offered to you. Continuing a little further you will arrive at the Peyre Dusets dolmen… The little ones will have the opportunity to have fun at the play area dedicated to them. To eat or refresh yourself, several establishments are at your disposal as well as a picnic area. From there, stand up paddle, kayak or canoe trips will be offered to allow young and old to enjoy the joys of aquatic activities. Take the opportunity to go to the other side of the lake and observe the peat bog of Lake Lourdes (Natura 2000 classified site). The lake of Lourdes is a popular spot for photographers who patiently await the reflections of the last rays of the sun on the body of water. Fishermen will also be privileged, whether for fishing from the shore or from a boat. The Lac de Lourdes is classified in the second category and is very popular with fishermen. The species present are carp, roach, tench, pike, pike-perch, perch or black bass. A night carp fishing course is accessible on the golf course. Find the regulations on the site of the AAPPMA fishermen from Lourdes and Lavedan.
Between tales and legends
To occupy the long winter evenings in Lavedan, the locals told each other in front of the hearth fire, many stories and legends. Their origins were often based on the Old Testament, witches and the devil or the feats of arms of the Great Emperor Charlemagne, his nephew Roland and the four Aymon brothers, with their fairy horse Baïar (or Baïart). These legendary stories were transmitted from castle to castle by the founders and the troubadours. Then, taken over by the people who transformed some of them into a theatrical spectacle. Very superstitious and able to believe in the marvelous, the Lavedanese sometimes took them for true stories. Discover these legends about the princesses, the chasm and the castle thanks to the Heritage site of the Pays des Vallées des Gaves.
A window of activities for all
Lourdes offers an exceptional playground for families. Cultural discoveries, sports activities or animal parks, you will undoubtedly find activities adapted to your wishes. Let yourself be guided in the Marian city while solving an investigation with our files Randoland suitable for children from 6 to 12 years old. Let yourself be caught up in the game ...
- The Little Tourist Train offers you in 45 minutes a city tour that will allow you to access different museums.
- Take advantage of the family offer “Pass 2L”To get to fortified castle of Lourdes and Pic du Jer by its funicular and enjoy an exceptional panorama over Lourdes and the Pyrenees. On leaving the Bois de Lourdes (6,5 km), the Bon Air Farm presents a variety of species typical of our farms. Rabbits, ponies, poultry, sheep and many more await you in this little green area.
- 13 kilometers from Lourdes, the Pyrenees Animal Park welcomes you and offers you the chance to observe the Pyrenean fauna as closely as possible, such as brown bears, wolves, greedy marmots or playful otters.
- Le Gave de Pau invites you to sport descents in rafting, hydrospeed or kayak, the smallest torrents offer you the possibility of practicing canyoning.
- Le Hautacam leisure park with its summer activities (Mountain Luge, Dévalkart, Sherpa, electro-fun vehicles ..) and winter (cross-country and downhill skiing, Mountain Luge) promises you wonderful days with your family.
- Le Chloro'Fil Park invites you to discover its 13 trails suspended in the trees accessible for families with children from 4 years old. For the more explorers, caving will be ideal, while the more calm may prefer to discover the Lake of Lourdes on a stand up paddle ...
- In Beaucens (21 km), the Donjon des Aigles propose des spectacles présentant différents oiseaux et plus particulièrement les rapaces.
- In Asson (25 km), the Asson Zoo will delight the whole family who will meet different species from African lands to Australia or South America.
- In summer, Lourdes Plage settles down and offers a safe and free swimming area. You can also go for a ride on pedal boats or just go fishing. The aquatic complex with its indoor and outdoor pools is also an excellent place to have a good time with the family all year round.
- The Pays de Lourdes offers various mountain bike discovery routes, some of which are suitable for families.
- La Greenway of Gaves allows you to effortlessly explore the Gave de Pau valley and invites you to stopover in the various villages that border it.
- Various marked trails allow you to discover the close surroundings of Lourdes by taking a little height: Pics du Jer and du Béout, GR 78 and 101, Henri IV path, lakes of the Hautacam massif ... Let yourself be guided by your desires!
- All year round you can also learn or practice golf on a superb 18-hole course offering a breathtaking panorama of the Pyrenees and the lake.
- Only a few minutes from Lourdes, the Betharram caves invite you to discover the Pyrenean subsoils during a guided tour of approximately 1h30.
- Very close to Lourdes also, the Leprechaun Fisherman Park welcomes budding fishermen by allowing them to catch brown and rainbow trout.
So if after reading this plurality of interests, stories and sporting and cultural activities you have a beating heart, choose the camping of Sarsan for your vacation, and then you will have sparkling eyes and a smile on your face without stopping so many surprises await you!
Tourist documentation to download