Camping Au Bord de Loire
A place, a story
Gennes is located at the junction of two ancient Roman roads, one coming from Chênehutte and heading towards Brissac, and the other heading towards Doué. It was an important Gallo-Roman agglomeration. In the Middle Ages, its territory came under the lord of Trèves, and that of La Harielle and Joreau for Saint-Vérin, and that of Sous-le-Puy for Saint-Eusèbe.
Several monuments which attest to its past are to be visited in and around the town.
- The troglodyte shelters of Bouchet, the Cour d'Avort and the Forest
- The castle of Milly, castle site of Milly-le-Meugon
- The presence of several dolmens and other neolithic megaliths: The forest dolmen, the covered stone dolmen, the Madeleine dolmen, the Pierre Longue menhir, the standing stone known as Pierre Longue du Bouchet
- Saint-Eusèbe church with memorial to soldiers killed in the fighting in June 1940, Saint-Vétérin church, Saint-Pierre de Milly church
- A farm, rue de l'Ancienne-Mairie, from the XVIe, XIXe and XXe centuries
- The mansions of Bouchet (XVe-XXe), Mardron (XIIe-XVIe), Sarreau (XVIe-XXe)
- The Sarré mill, a XNUMXth century water mille on the Avort stream
- The remains of a Gallo-Roman nymphaeum, on the right bank of the Avort stream
- The Pont de Gennes, scene of fighting in June 1940 between the German troops and the cadets of the Saumur cavalry school supported by Algerian skirmishers
- The Gallo-Roman theater-amphitheater of Châtaigniers
Regional, national and international influence!
Its territory is located in the Loire Valley area, between Sully-sur-Loire and Chalonnes, registered on the UNESCO World Heritage List.. The Loire Valley, from Sully-sur-Loire (45) to Chalonnes-sur-Loire (49), has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since November 30, 2000. This international recognition both protects and enhances an exceptional cultural landscape along the Loire, the longest river in France. The Loire Valley bears witness to the interactions between people and their environment, over two thousand years of history. It is remarkable for the quality of its architectural heritage, its historic towns and for its world-famous castles. This landscape also illustrates the influence of Renaissance and Enlightenment ideals on thought and creation in Western Europe.
A prodigious nature
When you stay at camping At the edge of the Loire, you will be in the heart of a natural setting where the Loire is a “queen”. The Loire is a lively and majestic river that crosses 12 departments and covers around 1 kilometers from its source in Ardèche. The history of the territories it crosses, of the landscapes and of the people, is closely linked to it. The omnipresence of its water has given birth to green landscapes sometimes favored by the mild climate, sometimes punctuated by rocks, valleys, or vineyards and forests. Over the rising and falling levels, the river and its rivers deposited their sediments in the valley, creating a mosaic of soils, some of which, rich in silt, are particularly fertile. This wealth has enabled the cultivation of fruits, vegetables, flowers, etc. But also the development of animal husbandry in the wettest and most clayey areas. The river has shaped the landscapes but also the mentalities of its inhabitants: sailors, fishermen, farmers and townspeople. A free river, the Loire imposes itself with grace, strength and gentleness at the same time. Its grazed or mown meadows form a traditional landscape on the banks of the Loire. The Loire preserves, with the Loire-Anjou-Touraine Regional Natural Park, a living empire where multiple animal and plant species come together. This migratory stopover offers many birds a nesting and hibernation site. On the Saumur side, the Loire bathes white Anjou and its cellars carved into the tufa. Downstream from Angers, it runs along the Anjou noir and its schist slopes. In the Mauges, the river leaves Anjou in the wake of the white terns to reach the ocean.
The Loire is magnificent and benefactor. She creates around her a positive effervescence but is really appreciated only in silence and peace. “It is one of the most beautiful landscapes in the world, the most beautiful balance between masses of stone, masses of greenery, mass of water. And don't forget that there is another mass, the silence…. " - Max Jacob 1846 - 1944
Hiking is obviously in the spotlight. The GR 3 and the GR 3D cross the town of Gennes-Val-de-Loire. Along a marked route of more than 200 km, the GR 3 draws, according to the undulations and escarpments of the southern slope of the valley, a palette of colors and landscapes representative of the Loire Angevine. You will sometimes go along the Loire. Other times you will evolve in the heart of the vineyards. But you will always discover unusual and grandiose landscapes (Loire castles and resorts, inhabited islands, historic sites, etc.).
Choose the app Alltrails, and discover the hikes near the camping !
Cycling enthusiasts will feast as close as possible to natural treasures, The Loire à Vélo awaits you in Anjou for a long-distance walk of nearly 150 km. True international tourist route dedicated to cycle tourists, this interregional route of more than 800 km (from Nevers to the Atlantic Ocean) will deliver, without asking too much effort, all the emotions and atmospheres of the river.
Saumur Val-de-Loire is also a trail station. A 13,9 km route with a positive and negative drop of 159 m starts from Gennes-Val-de-Loire. The estimated journey time is 1:10 to 2:05. The information to be found on the website of the Trail Station. Chênehutte is also crossed by the “Loire et Tuffeau” route which starts on the banks of the Thouet.
For walks and horseback rides accompanied by a qualified professional on the banks of the Loire, in the heart of the vineyards, to discover the natural and cultural heritage, the Relais des Moulins is the privileged partner of camping to organize horse riding trips.
By being on the banks of the Loire, swimming and canoe Kayak are must-haves for those looking for freshness or the simple pleasure of water. You can go hiking on the Loire by canoe, kayak and stand up paddle. Courses with varied distances will meet your desires. This is a great opportunity to discover the Loire heritage as well as the flora and fauna of the Loire-Anjou-Touraine regional natural park along the water. Ask Benoît to organize your canoe trips. For example, every Thursday departures from camping are provided.
If you are passionate about wake, or simply adepts of sliding and outdoor activities, 20 km from the camping un Exo-leisure is a park with a body of water equipped with a 5-pylon ski lift for the practice of wakeboarding, water skiing and wakeboarding!
If you are with toddlers take them to Saumur Forest Adventures ! It is a base of outdoor activities where you can indulge in tree climbing, paintball, Laser Game… Everything you need to spend a pleasant day outdoors!
Would you like to gain height? Only 20 km from camping, either 20 minutes by car or 1 hour by bike, you can access a climbing complex.
What if you treat yourself to a magical hot air balloon moment !? Seen from the sky, the Loire Valley, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, will reveal all its charms to you. at Anjou-Nantes Montgolfière. The departure base is 2 km from the camping and the show seen from above with the lights of the region is a MUST for unforgettable holidays in the Loire Valley.
Heritage “favorites” less than 15 km from camping
- The monks cellar in the town of Gennes
- The Hydronef mill 9 km away
- The Priory of Saint Rémy La Varenne 9 km away
- L'Atelier Galerie du Manoir de la Caillère 10 km away
- Loire Odyssey 10 km away
- Stone and Light 10 km away
- The mushroom museum in Saumur 10 km away
- The sculpture cellar 11 km away
- The national school of the Cadre Noir from Saumur to 11 km
- The city of Blaison Gohier 12 km away
- The troglodyte houses of Forges 12 km away
- Rochemenier troglodyte village 13 km away
- The contemporary art center Bouvet Ladubay 13 km away
- Saumur, village of Art and History at 14 km
- The Combier Distillery 14 km away
- The little tourist train of Saumur 15 km away
- Montgeoffroy castle 15 km away
- The motor museum in Saumur at 15 km
Tourist documentation to download
Explore our guide for holidays
Articles to help you prepare your holidays!